Sunday, July 1, 2007

Wimbledon.... What's Up With American Tennis?

Okay, that's all I wanted to say about American tennis. I just want to know what's up with American tennis? I don't have an answer to the question, I just wonder why we don't have a real Pete, Andre, Jimmy or John. We have Andy, a guy who's evolving and might turn into what we thought he would be before. And we have a whole league of second-to-first rate players who just can't beat the people of Europe or South America.

And Roger, while he's an excellent tennis player, phenomenal to watch, just doesn't have the 'it' factor like his buddy Tiger. And he's not American. Normally I'm quite a bit more inclusive (I love the fact that there are tons of interesting people in the NBA and the NHL, as well as the MLB, and I get tickled when there are non-Americans in the NFL). I just think that tennis, being a less-important sport in the US (if Wimbledon were cancelled this week due to the attempted terrorist acts, very few Americans would really care) is in desperate need of American players.

And I know I have heard the Mary Carillos and Johnny Macs of the world ask the same question (and try to answer it).
In the world of baseball, I think my family has hit an interesting point.

We get consistent free tickets to our local minor league (Frontier League) games, and we go. And we keep track of the St. Louis Cardinals with my cell phone. So, my Dad just loves going to the game... and keeping up with his St. Louis Cardinals.

Isn't technology wonderful?!

No comments: