Monday, June 18, 2007

NBA, NHL, French Open and the US Open

Forgive me readers (not that I have any) for I have not written since many important sporting events have occurred.

I must congratulate my favorite team for winning the NBA finals. I can't help but gloat a bit, even if I think it would be good for the NBA to have a talented LeBron leading a talented Cleveland team to a classy win. Seriously, we don't worry about the media share with any other sport as much as we do the NBA finals.

The Spurs bored us because none of them are bad boys or cocky. Heck, Tony Parker's fiance couldn't even get us to pay attention. There's a problem with that if you're a sports fan.
Oh, what are we to do about the NHL? NBC tried and not even I, someone who knows what the crease is (and have screamed at the television about the player preceding the puck) couldn't keep watching it for all that long. But, so I mention it, congratulations Anaheim Ducks. I don't know why, but unless my Blues are playing, I can't watch hockey on television. And as many people know, the Blues were and are the biggest disappointment in my 'fan girl' world.

Every year, around this time, I prattle on about my favorite Hockey Trophy, and that is the Lady Byng Memorial Trophy, earned for the second year in a row by Pavel Datsyuk. And I prattled, just last year, in my other blog, just a bit about Sidney Crosby and the fact that the world is missing one of the greatest hockey players, ever. What the heck? We call Gretsky "The Great One" and this kid is doing exactly what Gretsky did. I'm almost rooting for him to play on the Canadian team in the next Olympics so that maybe, just maybe he can win the Stanley Cup, all of the other awards and the Gold Medal in the same year. That would be pretty cool.
Roger Federer, why the heck can't you take a year off and play clay only for that year with the goal of the career Grand Slam? It's the only chink in your 'greatest tennis player ever' armour. On the bright side, it brings about a rivalry for those of us who are tennis fans that is pretty cool to watch. Congrats Rafael Nadal on yet another (where's your greatness ribbon?) French Open.

And who among us doesn't like seeing the prize fighter win in the dirt?
Having been at the Player's Championship for our honeymoon, I can speak from personal experience... Tiger's so big, much bigger than the game. It is a good thing he's in the final group at a major, otherwise, non-serious golf fans wouldn't watch. My hubby and I, we would watch even if Tiger wasn't there. You may not know this, but I like a lot of the new young players and just want them to do well. Strangely though, Zach Johnson wasn't one of those that I knew about all that much before the Masters.

To get back to the point: I watched the US Open start to finish, sometimes sneaking into the boss' office at work, he does have the only television in the whole building. Still makes me wonder what happened on the 'big news' days. Did no one find out? Nonetheless, it proved to be quite exciting and fun to watch from start to end. I knew Tiger wasn't going to make that last putt. In my own mind, I couldn't compare what Tiger's impending fatherhood to anything I have been through, but I know I played some of the worst tennis of my life just before our wedding. Sure Tiger's got a lot more skill and ability than I do (at his sport, according to his buddy Roger, he isn't that good of a tennis player, or so I have read), but for a man who's usually such a clutch putter.... what the heck caused him to miss so many putts? I think that was a lack of concentration. And I think that was because his baby girl was due in less than a month.

Oh, and if you didn't know, apparently Sam Alexis was born June 18, 2007. And I congratulate the new Dad.

No comments: