Friday, August 31, 2007

This MLB doesn't quite belong to me, thank you!

What the heck is up with Major League Baseball?

Terry Francona can't wear a sweatshirt? Let's see, health problems aside, no self-respecting manager should ever wear a sweatshirt. Yeah, right. And the reason why they wear uniforms is that they could play again? Or is it tradition? If it's tradition, then why not respect the idea of a guy who just can't feasibly wear the uniform properly but can still coach?

I also must add, hot young pitchers can't pitch anymore. I understand that the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry is a heated one, and you have to keep the players in check, but Joba Chamberlain is a fairly young pitcher in a major league game that he has barely played. Even if he's spot on, he wasn't aiming at Youkilis' head. Seriously. I don't like the Yankees. I'm not a fan of the Red Sox. I just don't like it when the game seems to be corrupted in opposite directions.

The deal with Terry Francona was ridiculous. I haven't seen a single sports column out there (and if there is one, please tell me) that says that MLB was right for inspecting Terry Francona's uniform while his pitcher was on the mound. Yes, in the middle of the bottom half of the inning.... It's ridiculous. I wouldn't even shed a tear if he were to sue the MLB for something like "harassment" because that was all that 'uniform inspection' was: unequivocal harassment. This smells of the same marketing that guides what the NFL coaches will wear. I long for the days of 'what the coaches wanted to wear. And to me, it still smacks of pure harassment in more senses than one.

And I can't get past the fact that no longer can pitchers use the ball to intimidate the batter. A batter can hit a ball back to the pitcher and he would never get fined. I'm just saying. This is a ridiculous baseball world we live in.

On the bright side, both things happened in the most over-hyped rivalry in the United States.

No comments: