Saturday, August 22, 2009

Football During Baseball Season

There is a time of the year when the world stops watching baseball.

It's a shame.

It's not during the boring spring, when every game matters as it always does but the end seems so far away that it can't be seen. It's difficult to really care. There are the diehards (my Dad watches every Cardinals game from Opening Day on). And I can't blame them. Baseball is fun to watch.

It's not during the summer when baseball is the only team sport going. Okay, there is World Team Tennis, and I like to watch that, but I am biased towards tennis. I will sometimes forego a WTT viewing to see the Cardinals play.

It's right now! It's happening at this very moment. I heard more yesterday about Number 4 in purple (the actual number was gold-lined white on a purple jersey, but that's enough nitpicking) than about the vaunted Red Sox - Yankees rivalry. And last night's score seemed more like a football score in that rivalry, 20-11. The Yankees were outscored by the Cowboys, but the Red Sox, in a losing effort, managed to outscore the losing Titans.

I'm waiting for November, when the World Series and Monday Night Football will be happening at nearly the same time.

No comments: