I was talking with my Mom today. That's not shocking within itself, but we were talking about sports. I have a serious opinion on booing. And it came out today.
I didn't actually watch the Kentucky game versus Gardner-Webb. I was watching something with my husband and I was convinced that Kentucky would probably polish the floor with little ole Gardner-Webb. But I didn't pay attention even after I turned the channel and noticed that the Cats were losing to the Bulldogs.
But here's what got me. My mom told me that the fans were booing. What the hell? It was the second game of the season, with a new coach, with players who were recruited to play for a different coach, and I can't believe just how much Kentucky fans are turning into the fans I hate.
I can't stand fans that whine and complain about everything and everyone unless their team makes it to the national championship, World Series or Superbowl. And I'm not kidding, Kentucky fans are there. You don't see UCLA fans whining that there hasn't been back-to-back championships, do you? Heck, even North Carolina's fans aren't all wonky because they didn't win the National Championship last year, are they?
Maybe it's because I wasn't really part of the 'fire Tubby' chain. I was, in fact, one of the people who told the rest of my Kentucky friends (and family), get over it! Tubby wasn't a bad coach. He wasn't even an average coach. He just needed a really good recruiter. He lost the recruiters he needed. And when that happened and Kentucky lost the sheen to Billy-Ball in Florida, there has been some serious issues.
Come on... if you are a 17 1/2 year old kid and you get to choose between Lexington and Gainesville... Well, I'm just sayin'. I lived in Lexington. I lived in Lexington in 1996 for their national championship, and that was exciting.
But it is absolutely beyond me how anyone can boo this early in the season. How uptight and arrogant are Kentucky fans? That's all I really am asking. I am beginning to think, I love the team, but the fans, I could do without.
Thanks for reading.
Friday, November 9, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment